Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Secret Ingredient..."RAIN WATER!"

Jay and I had a quick, kid free, overnight get away! So excited and just bursting to run around like I myself was a kid.
Jay packed the car, did the g-shopping, and drove us off to Table Rock. I was super impressed by his choice of menu items and was eagerly plotting how it would turn out. I mean the man got grass fed bison, asparagus, cherries for heavens sake..lot's of great stuff. I drooled over how I would cook with the cast iron over the open fire sipping on scrumptious beer and enjoying the hammock.
So we get there, set up camp and head to Cesar's Head for a quick warm up hike. We head down to the falls and park. Unfortunately there was a corner there. So sorry for the family.
We grabbed our gear and headed out.
It was so beautiful. The smell, the air, the lighting, all just perfect.Then it started to rain. "Ok", no big deal. We got to the falls and ooo'd and ahh'd, then some tweekers showed up! what? really? Oh dear lord.
So off we went, in the rain, a bit weird-ed out by the randomness. Back at the trail head it stops raining.Yay! Off to cook.
We arrive back at camp, get the fire started and jay heads to the shower. He get's back and I have it all prepped,. just waiting on the coals. About that time we feel a few sprinkles.  I throw the asparagus in to steam with some beer, seasoned up the meat and it's raining. Not sprinkling but now raining.

 Now, I have to improvise..one pot method in the pouring rain! Sweet pot's almost done, tossed in with onion and asparagus, and the fire is not hot...And now it is like a monsoon just came falling from the sky. Our pot was drenched, our veggies were pretty much washed ashore but thank god we has the Bison still.
So my loving husband, huddled under the tarp that covered the hammock I was supposed to sleep in, finished up our poor supper while I made a new place to sleep in the car.
Needless to say, our supper did not turn out quite like I had envisioned. It was all fun though, we laughed pretty hard at the situation.
The next day we headed out to hike Table Rock and were very great-full it was not raining and that we had some of uncle Kenneth's honey.
Tired from the night before, and kind of in a bit of shock I think, we headed up and up and up.

And this was our reward for all the rain, traitorous up hill hike, and washed out supper :)